Planning and Promotion
Plan your event by answering the following questions.
What kind of event are you planning?
It takes different tactics to promote multiple activities. Focus your efforts if possible to create one successful event rather than 3-4 semi-successful events.
When will the event take place?
Other concurrent events can mean reduced attendance.
Where will the event take place?
Lock down your room or space reservation early and make sure to plan for disability access in both your reservation and your promotions.
Why would someone want to attend?
Is should be clear what attendees can hope to gain from this experience.
Press and Photos
Only specific offices on campus have the authority to issue press releases.
Designing Promotional Materials
- Design Conductor is a great option for creating flyers, postcards, and banners
- If you are part of a university college or department contact University Communications and Marketing to work with one of their designers.
- If you are part of an AS Club or organization contact AS Communications to work with one of their designers.
Social Media Graphics
- Start here.
- Revisions at this stage do not require a print proof.
- Focus your message and keep your call to action short.
- Refer your audience to a website, event page, or calendar for additional details.
- Print materials should have only slightly more detail than social graphics.
- Shoot for clean, compelling, and easy to read (large enough font) design that directs the reader to additional information sources.
Ways to Promote
Once your print and social media materials are complete, there are many options reach your audience. You do not need to utilize every option here. Focus on those that fit your ideal audience.
Post your information on Social Media.
- Make sure graphics are legible and to the point –poster graphics rarely translate well to social media posts.
- Ask other relevant university feeds to share your post or graphics.
- Make sure your social media accounts show up within Western’s social media aggregator https://social.wwu.edu/ -email University Communications and Marketing if not.
- If you do not have your own social media channels, send University Communications and Marketing the information you would like posted for the main Western social media accounts.
- The WWU events calendar (use the + Add Event button under ‘Month’).
- The Library calendar (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Associated Students Events Calendar (contact AS).
- Explore other community calendar options including Bellingham Herald, BE in Bellingham, Whatcom Talk, and Cascadia Weekly, etc.)
- Post on MyWestern the internal campus portal.
Display your information on the Viking Union, dining commons and Performing Arts Center scrolling video screens.
- Images must be pdf, jpeg or png, dimensions: 1920x1080 72ppi.
- Email images to VU.DigitalSignage@wwu.edu and copy the AS Publicity Center Coordinator, the communications consultant for University Housing for the dining commons, and the Manager of Marketing/Special Events for the College of Fine and Performing Arts.
- Post print materials on campus kiosks, in poster holders or as banners, see the posting policy for information on available posting locations and quantity.
- Reserve use of kiosks through the AS.
- Drop off printed kiosk displays at the AS Publicity Center, Viking Union 411, Monday-Friday, 10am - 4pm with a copy of the reservation attached.
- The AS Publicity Center staff will put up displays within two working days.
- You can only reserve kiosk space for one quarter at a time.
- Use video from past events to add to social media and websites.
- Video can help increase your reach on social media. Check the University YouTube channel, with Western Window or with University Communications for applicable video segments that already exist.
Mail flyers to campus departments.
- Send 137 copies of your flyer through mail services with a note to include one flyer per department.
Contact Dining/Food Services (Edens Hall 109) and request to place Table Tents in the Dining Halls.